It’s summer and it’s a great time of year to take vacations and spend more time outdoors. As with any changing of the season, it’s also a good time to check in and make sure you’re effectively taking care of your skin. The same treatment regimen might not work for our skin all year round due to the changing of the weather and our body’s response to that change. Below are some tips to consider from DermaTouch RN of Texas to ensure you’re effectively taking care of your skin during the summer.
- Drink plenty of water! Many of us are outdoors more during the summer, and as lovely as the sun is, the heat can cause us to become dehydrated, causing dry and ruddy skin, along with potential dizziness and other physical symptoms. Even in areas like Houston, TX with high humidity, you still run the risk of dehydration.
- Hydrate the skin. In addition to drinking water, another way to ensure your skin is hydrated as much as possible is using a hydrating product like SkinMedica’s HA5, a Hyaluronic Acid product that effectively hydrates the skin. Hyaluronic Acid is our skin’s natural hydrator, and it decreases as we age. Replenishing it with a great product like HA5 is a great step to any skin care regimen.
- Re-apply over and over. It’s wise to apply sunscreen all year round (especially to the face), and especially during the summer when you’re outdoors for longer periods of time. Reapply frequently, especially after you’ve been sweating or swimming. With all the many formulas available today, you can select a sunscreen that’s suitable for your skin type, from oil free to anti-aging.
- Use the right skin care products for your skin and season. Our skin often requires different treatments during different seasons of the year. In the winter, we might need more moisturizing, for example, whereas in the summer, we might need something for acne prone skin or oil free. Regardless, using high-quality skin care products with proven results is a must for both preventative and reactive skin care. SkinMedica and Obagi are a couple product lines we offer at DermaTouch RN.
- Repair damaged skin. You’ve been out in the sun without sunscreen, and the damage is already done. It happens. Now it’s time to use a skin care product high in soothing botanicals or aloe vera gel that will heal without irritating the skin. You can also consider laser treatments to remove and repair sun damage. We offer a variety of laser treatment plans at DermaTouch RN.
Contact us today to set up your free consultation to check out our skin care products and services. We are here to support you in taking care of your skin in the best way possible during the summer months.